Friday, March 28, 2008

How Much do you love your Land..

Today..
Rashid, the old man, was defeated..
I
Stood next to him on the gates of Justice..
Hands folded in Prayer..
Back bent, wrinkled face. Hopeful eyes
He in the dirtiest white.
One of the crowd.
In the scorching Sun
Barefoot..
As Justice came in an air conditioned car…
Sipped a Coffee…
And said that Rashid, the old farmer has no right to his land…
A farmer lost his land
A son
A wife
A father
A mother…………..


Hours later..
On a footpath outside the District Courts..
Sat next to him.
Hands still folded in Prayer..
Back bent, wrinkled face. Tearful eyes.
He in the dirtiest white.
All alone in the crowd.
In the setting Sun..
Barefoot..

Sipping a cup of tea..
“That was all I had..
No son
No wife
No father
No mother…………..”
I tried hard not to cry for a man who had lost his land..
I succeeded then..
But have failed now..
Today..

I can`t ask him..
But I ask myself
“Oh Rashid how much do you love your land?”
As if he heard my heart..
“More than I love God ..”

No comments: